Friday, March 23, 2012

My tuning experience at Seattle Pacific University

It was a busy week for me between March 19th And March 22nd.  I woke up each morning at 5 am so I could arrive in Seattle by 8 am.  The piano sale at Seattle Pacific University was to start on March 22nd.  There were about 80 acoustic pianos to be on display and it was my job, along with other tuners who could help, to tune and prep the pianos.

On Monday, I made good time getting there.  But when I tried to enter the building, it was still locked.  The person who usually opens it was late due to snow preventing her from coming.  When the building was opened, I still had to wait around for a few hours, because the drivers moving the pianos from Portland, Oregon had not arrived.  They left Portland at 7 am and didn't arrive til 11 am.
Finally, the first truck arrived and it was moving time; not for me of course.  Still waited another hour while movers were being told where each piano will be set up.  Well, by the time I started my first piano, it was about 12:30 pm.  For Monday, I had tuned a total of 8 pianos.
I know the movers were tired by the end of the day; but I worked all day and all night and finally got home at 9 pm.  The movers made very good time setting up the pianos.

The next day, I tuned another 8 pianos and went home early because the doors were locked up 6 pm.  I got home by 7 pm.  Wednesday, I did 10 pianos and got home around 10 pm.  Thursday was the start of the sales event; but I still tuned three more pianos.  One of those pianos was a Yamaha grand piano that was sounding so bright and shrill that it was obnoxious. So I softened the hammers and voiced the piano and tuned it.  It sounded much better.

No comments: